Friday, July 14, 2023

Midmonth Check-In: July 2023 and Getting Started in Astronomy

 

Introduction and Monthly Reminders   

    
    The first 14 days of the month have been decent for stargazing. I have been able to watch Venus and Mars move closer together in the evening sky, the two planets converging on Regulus in Leo. The Super Moon, aka Buck Moon, the Full Moon of July was also neat to watch rising above the mountains during the first week of July. 

    Interested observers can still look forward to the New Moon on the 17th and a few close encounters between the Moon and the planets. The first encounter will be Mercury on the 19th followed by Mars and Venus on the 20th. Mercury and Venus can be found close to one another on the 26th and the Southern Delta Aquariid Meteor Shower will peak on the 30th. Remember that the period around a New Moon is the best time for viewing deep-sky objects.  

Getting Started in Astronomy   

    
    I have a past post about getting started in Astronomy and thought I would again share those thoughts. My interest began when I was a teenager, and comet Hale-Bopp was seen in our evening sky. I remember sitting in the backyard with my dad and watching the comet for a few hours every week, for the 18 months it was visible. I also remember my first time looking through a telescope when I was about the same age. I'm sure we looked at more than one object, but the only thing I remember is seeing Saturn and its rings for the first time. Fast-forward about ten years and I finally realized the passion I had for the night sky and changed my degree from Computer Science to Astrophysics.  

    With the many years of experience and knowledge that I have gained, for any future observer, I recommend getting to know the constellations. This can be done by using a book, planisphere, or an app on your favorite mobile device. All of this gear can be acquired at a very low price and can be used by budding and advanced astronomers. 

    Next, I would suggest stepping up to a small pair of binoculars that are likely already owned or can be purchased for an economical price. I started my journey with a pair of 25 x 100 binoculars, often referred to as giant or astronomy binoculars, and a sturdy tripod. My particular pair of binoculars tips the scales at about ten pounds and are hard to hold steady, therefore the tripod was required. Binoculars can show an observer many of the craters on the Moon, the phases of Venus, and the Galilean Moons of Jupiter. I can also (barely) make out the rings of Saturn and the colors of Uranus and Neptune. A few of my favorite targets with binoculars are the Pleiades, Jupiter, the Beehive Cluster, the Moon, and the Sun, with proper solar filters of course. I have been able to watch many lunar eclipses, annular solar eclipses, total solar eclipses, and even the transit of Venus across the Sun. Even a smaller 10 x 50 pair of binoculars can reveal the Galilean Moons of Jupiter, phases of Venus, and craters on the Moon. An image of my binoculars and tripod can be seen below.

My astronomy binoculars with solar filters on a tripod.

    While owning the 25 x 100 binoculars, I started to practice astrophotography with a camera I purchased from my brother. My setup consisted of a Nikon DSLR camera, 18-50mm and 55-200mm zoom lenses, and a tripod. I was able to capture many decent shots with this setup as well as a few images of lighting. Unfortunately, most of these pictures were lost when the hard drive they were stored on decided to fail. Remember to have multiple back-ups! An image of this setup can be found in my "Andrew vs. the Cosmos" photo below.

Andrew vs. the Cosmos
 
    When I began getting aperture fever, I started going to star parties to see what gear and setup other astronomers were using. Typically, I would go to Stansbury Park where the Salt Lake Astronomical Society (SLAS) would meet, to look at and through the telescopes the members would bring. I also remember visiting Jordanelle with SLAS and Antelope Island with the Ogden Astronomical Society (OAS). 

    After my time with SLAS and OAS, I changed my degree from Computer Science to Astrophysics. Shortly after, I decided on my first telescope, the Orion XX12g Dobsonian. I chose this telescope because of its ability to be broken down into many smaller pieces so that it can be easily transported to a dark sky site, its large 12-inch aperture, and the ability to locate and track objects in the night sky. Since this purchase, I have bought a few accessories to go along with the telescope and have acquired a few additional lenses for my DSLR camera. Below are my favorite images of my telescope at a dark sky site. 

My telescope is front and center with my camera to the left.

My Orion XX12g telescope.

    I urge those interested in astronomy to begin by attending star parties hosted by local astronomy clubs. This can give future observers the opportunity to find the right telescope for them. I believe that starting out with a pair of binoculars is a great idea since they are generally inexpensive and can be used for other activities, not just astronomy. When the observer feels ready to step up to a telescope, they should research and test as many telescopes as they can. Generally, a Dobsonian telescope will be the best "bang for the buck," offering observers a larger aperture compared to similarly priced telescopes of other designs. Dobsonians are also easier to set up and operate with their push-to design. I know individuals that have started out with a telescope on an equatorial mount and have been just as pleased as I am with my binoculars and telescope. The best telescope is the one that gets used, not the one that sits in the corner of a room and collects dust!

    As for astrophotography gear, I recommend starting with your smartphone. As camera sensors have become smaller and technology has improved, many smartphones can capture great images without having to do the post-processing work. I have been quite impressed with the quality of images from my smartphone compared to my DSLR camera. My images take about five minutes with my smartphone. I put it on a small tripod, select astrophotography mode, and the camera works its magic for five minutes and I am left with a great image, as long as I'm taking a picture of what I want. These images are generally landscape photography. Below are two images of roughly the same thing, taken on the same night, one with my phone and one with my DSLR camera. The image taken with the DSLR has also been edited to bring out the best features where the picture with my smartphone is the image saved by my phone when I took the picture.

Venus (bottom), Jupiter (middle), and Andromeda (top right). Taken with my Google Pixel 6 Pro. 

Venus (bottom), Jupiter (middle), Andromeda (top center), and Milky Way (right). Taken with my Nikon DSLR camera.
   
    More images and posts will come later! Be sure to check back around the first of August for my next Monthly Night Sky Report.

Remember to follow me on Instagram @CosmicLure01 to receive notifications for new posts.  You may also follow me on Twitter @CosmicLure.  

    
Now get outside and look up!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment